INTBAU Bangladesh, a country-wide initiative, will be housed at the Department of Architecture at BRAC University. As a nascent organisation, its first mandate is to promote the general principles of INTBAU’s Charter while encouraging the study, conservation and new construction of traditional architecture and urbanism in Bangladesh.
INTBAU Bangladesh aims to bring together academics, practitioners, community leaders and general supporters in order to promote the values of traditional building, architecture and urbanism and to encourage collaborative work in the traditional context of Bangladesh.
The Chapter seeks to promote a wider dialogue about how to learn from precedent and the value of traditional building resources in order to meet modern challenges. Certainly, traditional environments, patterns and processes have much to teach us about human habitats that are beautiful, liveable, peaceful, energy efficient, and ecologically and culturally sustainable. Some of the building traditions that will be of importance to the chapter will come from beyond the boundaries of present day Bangladesh, to include places that were historically part of the Bengal identity.
The Chapter’s objectives over the next three years are the following:
- To support studies, projects and activities in Bangladesh that fulfil INTBAU’s values and principles
- To encourage discussion of the diverse local identities, accumulative cultures and local architectural traditions of Bangladesh through seminars and public lectures .
- To be a trusted voice promoting Bangladesh’s architectural heritage in a global context.
- To advocate for the preservation and promotion of traditional buildings and settlements with special emphasis on the use of local materials and technologies.
- Through workshops and dissemination events enable beneficiaries to gain the confidence and competence to participate in the design, implementation and continuing operation of activities that improve the quality of traditional buildings and settlements.
- To contribute in local publications on architecture and urbanism about the value of traditional environments and eventually to have a regular publication of its own to pursue the purpose and promote the events of the chapter.
PROFESSOR FUAD HASSAN MALLICK, PhD
Professor, Department of Architecture, BRAC University
INTBAU College of Chapters (ICC) representative
MOHAMMAD HABIB REZA, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, BRAC University
PROFESSOR ABU SAYEED M. AHMED, PhD,
Professor, Department of Architecture, University of Asia Pacific
ARCHITECT JALAL AHMED, FIAB
Principal architect & Managing Director, J.A. Architects Limited
Vice President (National Affairs), Institute of Architects, Bangladesh
PROFESSOR ZAINAB FARUQUI ALI, PhD
Professor (On Leave). Department of Architecture, BRAC University